Mechanical Reproduction of Virtual Reality in The Truman Show

Home Forums Discussion Forum Mechanical Reproduction of Virtual Reality in The Truman Show

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by Profile photo of Garrett Cornish Garrett Cornish 3 years, 3 months ago.

• Author
    Profile photo of Dr. M
    Dr. M
    Keymaster

Brainstorm & Post a Discussion Question that clearly has roots in the course theme, keyterms, issues, problems, etc. Answer Discussion Questions posted by your peers. Do NOT duplicate someone else’s question.

Profile photo of Joachim Chielens
    Joachim Chielens
    Participant

The question is, do we life in a real version of the Truman-show? Clearly for Truman, there is no difference between reality and virtual reality, since his whole life is basically virtual reality. Is this where we are heading as a society? Fake news, wants us believe something that is not necessarily true. A door is opened when our ocularcentric society blindly starts believing what we see. Just as in Truman’s life, where there is not clear distinction between what is real and what is presented to him by others. Is our life becoming like that too?

Profile photo of Garrett Cornish
      Garrett Cornish
      Participant

I do believe that our society is becoming this way but it is societies responsibility to realize when we are blindly believing something. An issue that comes up in my mind is society not being able to be aware of when they are being blindly manipulated into a false reality. What will it take to recognize this? Truman would have never discovered that he was in a false/created reality if the woman he loved wasn’t taken and she made him question the world he was in. It might come down to people questioning every little aspect of their daily lives to know if they are being manipulated into a false reality.

Profile photo of Dr. M
    Dr. M
    Keymaster

What are the writers and the director of The Truman Show suggesting in making a film about a person who thinks his life is real, but it is only a virtual reality show?

What happens when a virtual reality show is your real life?

What happens when virtual reality eclipses reality?

What version of you is really the real YOU? (your virtual reality you? your FB you? Your Twitter you? Your Instagram you? Your Snapchat you? Your gaming avatar you? How do you know?

Profile photo of Diego Aranha
      Diego Aranha
      Participant

The is the first time I have watched this movie but the thoughts that it provokes are ones I have had before. Not necessarily thoughts about always being watched because I know that is already true but thoughts questioning reality. This happened freshman year of high school. I remember the first time I really questioned reality. I remember having a thought of being stuck in virtual reality world that I couldn’t escape. Another thought was one where I was actually in a coma or something and just dreaming of living a normal life. For all I know, all this could be in my head because you can never truly escape your head. These thoughts troubled me for while but I eventually got over it because I thought of what my life was. I realized that even if this is a fake life, it is not a bad one. The most powerful line in the movie is when the creator answers the caller’s question about why Truman has never come close to escaping is because “we accept the reality of the world with which we are presented”. I strongly agree with that quote because what other choice do we have? Personally, this quote would have bothered me before but not so much anymore because as long as I have control over my life or at least I think I do then I am good.

Profile photo of Diego Aranha
      Diego Aranha
      Participant

To answer your question about what is the real me I would have to say that I am the real me. Of course, I present myself differently depending on who I am talking to. I portray myself differently with my good friends than I would to my parents. The same goes with how I present myself differently to adults who aren’t my parents then I would to an acquaintance. Although I have different personas that I present to different people, they are not all that different from each other. I don’t think we become different people but rather we just show a part of us while hiding another.

Profile photo of Joachim Chielens
      Joachim Chielens
      Participant

That perhaps it is not such a stretch. They of course magnified it, but to some extent don’t we all live in a world that is managed by other people.

Nothing happens when your virtual world in your real life. As long as do not know it. Ignorance is bliss. That is exactly what is happening to the world too. The masses are ignorant and easy to be controlled.

I only use my Facebook to stay in contact with family and friends from Belgium. I rarely post something personal on my page. So my I do not consider my Facebook me as a representation of the real me. It is just a means of communication for me.
      I have no twitter account, no Instagram, or Snap chat. So no, i try not to have a version of me on the mighty interwebs. I think I am pretty open in real life, and my virtual me is the opposite. SO the real me, is the real me.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.